Flavonoid-rich diet is recommended to stay safe from COVID-19
Agharkar Research Institute (ARI), Pune, an Institute of the department of science and technology (DST), Government of India has come up with the synthetic path for the production of flavonoids for the treatment of Tuberculosis and Chikungunya. Preliminary indications and computational analysis have witnessed regarding the treatment of COVID-19.
Aug 24, 2020, 12:17 IST
Flavonoids protect from diseases related to heart, liver, kidney, brain and other infectious diseases. Since flavonoids boosts immunity , a flavonoid rich diet is recommended by ARI .
Flavonoids are a diverse group of phytonutrients (plant chemicals) found in almost all fruits and vegetables. Along with carotenoids which are found in vegetables, they are responsible for the vivid colors in fruits and vegetables. Flavonoids are the largest group of phytonutrients, with more than 6,000 types. Some of the best-known flavonoids are quercetin and kaempferol.
Flavonoids are part of the polyphenol class of phytonutrients. Polyphenols have historically been used in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine and are associated with skin protection, brain function, blood sugar, and blood pressure regulation.
Significance of synthetic path of flavonoids
- Availability: available at all seasons
- Uniformity: man-made origin so uniform structure and medical properties
- Cost: simple and cost-effective
- Less-explorative: solve the problems of overexploitation of the medicinal plants because it is synthesized through synthetic lab paths.
Benefits of flavonoids:
- Longevity: flavonoids consumption is associated with the longevity suggested flavonoids consumption could account for 25% to decrease mortality rates from CHD and cancer.
- Weight Management: Flavonoids content can decrease inflammation and levels of appetite- suppression hormone lepton. Leptin plays an important role in food consumption and models down obesity.
- Cardiovascular Disorders
- Because of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, the flavonoids prevent CVD.
- Diabetes: helps to prevent type 2 diabetes
- Cancer prevention: an exhibition of powerful antioxidant activity, exist in the bloodstream more than vitamin C and vitamin E lowers the overall antioxidant properties and helps in fighting cancers.